Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Onions and Spinach

I have had many a complements on this recipe for French Onion Soup, which comes from Joanne Stepaniak's "The Vegan Sourcebook" (my first ever Vegan book). Easy and quick... and oh so satisfying. I waited on making this soup til I could pick up some of the delicious bread (and produce) at Chase's Daily in town. Unfortunately, they ran out of their classic French Baguette before I arrived so I settled for Rye Caraway.



French Onion Soup
1 tbs olive oil
3 med. onions, sliced
1 large garlic, minced
1/4 c. whole-wheat pastry flour
4 cups water
1/4 c, tamari
French Bread, for serving

Heat the oil over med-high and add the garlic and onion. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour, mixing well. Then stir in the water and tamari and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the onions are tender (about 20 minutes). To serve, place a slice of bread in a bowl and ladle soup on top.


Flipping through the recipe section, I gazed upon a Sour Cream and Onion Dip recipe. Honestly, I sometime get excited when I stumble upon these kinds of foods... maybe because they relate to the "other" world (Meaning: before I even gave up dairy, I didn't even LIKE sour cream. So why would I even attempt to make a "sour cream" dip??? Sounds like something those ordinary folk eat... :) ). Now that I offended most of my family and friends... I ended up adding some chopped, steamed spinach to the mix BEFORE blending (but in hind sight, next time (ehhh), I may add the spinach after).



Sour Cream, Onion and Spinach Dip
1 c. silken tofu (firm)
2 tbs canola oil
1 tbs dried onion flakes
1 tbs fresh lemon juice
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tsp tamari
1 tsp date sugar or other dry sweetner
1/4 tsp dried parsley flakes (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until well combined. Transfer to a covered container and cool several hours before serving to allow flavors to blend.

2 comments:

  1. (not too harsh) feedback is most welcome since I'm fairly new to the blogging world. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense taken. You weirdos do very well for yourselves. Dinner looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete