Friday, November 13, 2009

dinner for two

The long awaited dinner with my culinary-like-minded friend, meaning that she would (and does) spend all day in the kitchen if she could. She's also the one that always inquires about potluck themes, which is something I do as well, when my other friends either just look a me weird or think I'm anal.

Now that time is slowing down to the winter months, there seems to be more opportunities for dinner arrangements. We set our "theme" around root vegetables, which are most abundant at the moment (meaning she has MOUNDS stored away for the coming months). What better to go with roasted root vegetables than polenta! I'm forever intimidated by the idea of polenta for some reason, but every now-and-then, feel obliged to try to ignore that feeling. I found a recipe for "soft polenta" that is a mixture of cornmeal and quinoa (for a protein punch and additional nutty flavor... oh yeah, and finely chopped leeks) topped with a made-from-scratch spicy tomato sauce. I ended up having time to set the polenta, which is my preferred way to serve it. The sauce was very tasty with portobello mushroom, cooking sherry, and onions.

My friend took care of the root veggies and also wanted to try out a spicy carrot soup recipe she had. Soup was great... really it was (though ask her about the red lentils I brought for her!). Let's just say sometimes, especially when you're cooking with a headlamp, sometimes just call it quits.

So I'm fully aware that pictures are needed... also recommended to me by my sister. They are coming.
In the meantime, up next... Butternut Squash and Wild Mushroom Lasagna, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. i think there should be a section dedicated to those peanut butter balls.
    congratulations on this website to. pretty awesome suzanne.

    ReplyDelete